Saturday, December 31, 2011

Reflecting on A Life-Changing Year

Last year at this time, I was about 16 weeks pregnant and so looking forward to 2011, the year our baby would be born. What a year it has been! I just wanted to reflect on it before it's over!
This year:
  • Sam got a new job
  • We emptied, painted, and prepared a baby nursery
  • I had more doctor visits, sonograms, and hospital stays than I've had my entire life
  • We had more snow/ice days than ever before
  • We celebrated Colby, Marin, Sydney, Bryce, and Emma's first birthdays
  • I made an amazing new friend, Randi, who I couldn't live without - or at least function as a pregnant-person-turned-new-mom without
  • Kira, Brock, and Shelby got engaged - not to each other, of course! :)
  • Mara graduated Kindergarten, and Kindle graduated high school
  • I said goodbye to the idea of a little girl in my belly and began falling in love with my son moving around in my pregnant bump
  • We picked a NAME for our little nugget! 
  • I mourned with Cherie when she lost her grandmother, and I mourned with Robyn when she lost her uncle
  • I celebrated with Laura when she married Ben
  • Sam and I took several childbirth classes, and Sam got to experience being "pregnant!"
  • We interviewed and chose a pediatrician for our baby
  • I was awarded a PTA Lifetime membership by my school community
  • We met Landry, Taryn, Theo, and lots of other friends like Ella, Myka, Shayna, Adam, Sami, Zeina, Emma, Everett, Micah, and Brayden
  • Sam and I welcomed Banner into our lives
  • I learned that I can't control everything, not everything goes my way or as planned, but everything can still turn out amazing
  • I also learned not to judge others, that I can function on very little sleep, that I can always learn to be (even) more patient, and that eventually you don't care if you have spit up running down you or your clothes
  • I ordered my blog-to-book, and now I want to post even more!
  • I got to see Robyn 3 different weeks between May and July - and that was awesome - but I miss her everyday as I'm figuring out the whole motherhood thing.  (Rob-- when you coming to see us again!?!?)
  • Sam and I celebrated our second anniversary, had an amazing time at Gaylord, and bought a new bed
  • We Raced for the Cure and raised over $2500 to Save Second Base Again! :)
  • Although we haven't solved the reflux dilemma, the eczema dilemma got solved
  • Sam had his first Father's Day
  • Banner had a bris and a naming, and he celebrated his first July 4th, Labor Day, Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, and New Year's Eve
  • I washed more bottles, bought more formula and pacifiers, changed more diapers, read more about sleep training, washed more toys, cleaned more spit-up, sucked more snot, and went to the baby stores more than I care to count. . . the good news is that I got peed on way less than I expected (thanks to my baby who, unlike most baby boys, rarely pees without a diaper on)
  • I enjoyed 5 full months with Banner as a stay-at-home mom, and then I successfully went back to work while Banner loved spending time with his Grandma (Thank you, Grandma!!!)
  • We lost my mother-in-law suddenly and unexpectedly, and we're still figuring out a way to move on without her
  • We sat Shiva at our house, and even though it was a sad time, we got to spend time with lots of out-of-town relatives
  • We learned that several of our friends are expecting babies in 2012: Gretchen, Laura, Bari, Mischelle, Julia - we can't wait to meet all of these little BOYS!
  • Banner learned to hold his head up, smile, laugh, coo, grab for objects, sleep through the night, eat solids, roll over, sit up, creep, say Mama and Dada (even though we know that has no meaning to him yet), tolerate his shots, drink from a sippy cup, interact with his play date friends, squeal, reach for us, and love!
We can't wait to see what's in store for 2012! Happy New Year, Everyone!
Here's hoping it's a good, safe, healthy, and happy one!

No comments:

Post a Comment