Saturday, December 3, 2011

A Perfect Moment

I just wanted to document the most beautiful moment my little family had today. I haven't been feeling well. Banner has a little cold that he is slowly getting over. We had the day today to just recoup and be together as a family. So, this afternoon, Banner was ready for his last nap of the day - a short 45 minute power nap really. Sam went to go lay down with him in our bed, and a few minutes later when Banner was still stirring, I went to lay down, too. Shortly after I joined them, Banner fell fast asleep, and Sam and I just looked at each other grinning.

As rain fell gently on the two skylights in our bathroom and the dim light of the dreary, wet afternoon filled the room, Sam and I held hands beneath Banner's covered feet. In that moment, everything was right, everything was perfect, everything was as it should be. We listened to Banner breathe - which has gotten easier for him in the past couple days of less congestion - and we just looked at each other. The sound of the rain, the view of my husband watching our (almost six-month-old) son and looking lovingly at me, the sound of Banner, the feel of his tiny grasp, the warmth of our bed, and the comfort of each others' love was simply beautiful. It's moments like these that make the nonsense of work, the stress of sleepless nights, the chaos of a hectic, busy day, or the constant worry of all the little things completely disappear. I will remember this afternoon's nap - forever recorded and etched into my heart and mind.

A perfect afternoon, even when I didn't feel well. But, just when I thought this moment couldn't get any better, it did - when Banner woke up. After playing and looking around for a few minutes, all of a sudden, he said, "mama" just perfectly. We know he didn't know what he had said, and we know it didn't have any meaning at this point, but it was so perfectly enunciated and pronounced. Sam and I just looked at each other and said, "Did you hear that!?!"

Perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment