Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thanksgiving Pies!

As far back as I can remember, as long as I could cook, I have been contributing to our family's Thanksgiving dessert table. I have made numerous pumpkin pies (my favorite!) trying out different crusts and decorative tips. Two years ago, Sam and I took a Thanksgiving pie class at Central Market. As with most cooking classes, we loved the time in the kitchen together, learning a new trick or recipe, so we decided to take the class again. This time, competing a little more to see whose pie could turn out the most beautiful. Throughout the class, the instructors continued to compliment both of us on our skills. I got lots of praise on my dough making, my rolling skills, and my decorating skills. Sam continued to get kudos from other students, as well, who admired the decorative skill he had - bringing up the fact that he is a guy and that most men don't care for baking. I made a pumpkin pie and an apple pie. Sam made an apple pie and a sweet potato pecan pie. My pumpkin pie crust, similar to all the other students', turned out very lopsided! I was pissed! Sam just kept trying to encourage me, even though I was ready to trash mine and go home and make another (since ones I've made in the past are beautifully decorated - with braided crust edges, leaves circling the pie, or added decor on the filling). So, he kept telling me to calm down and get over it - probably, internally, pleased that he didn't choose a pumpkin pie that would look like mine! His pecan pie turned out great! Haven't tasted it yet, but it looks great. Our apple pies probably tied, after the car ride home and much judgment by my mom and step-dad. Sam's looked better at the class, but after it cooled, I think ours both looked awesome (his deflated a little and then matched mine).

Either way, I'm sure the pies are delicious. And, they were certainly made with lots of care and a great deal of love. We care deeply for the loved ones we made them for, and we had a lot of fun making them. Tonight, I'll be making some side dishes for the holiday, and my niece and nephew will be spending the night! We'll have a full-house tonight, and I can't wait for all the fun of Thanksgiving!




1 comment:

  1. I'm impressed! I made my first pie crust last week. It was good, but I'm definitely not ready for anything fancy yet.

    ReplyDelete