Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Europe, Here We Come!

It's official! We WILL have a honeymoon after all! We're headed to Europe in June, which I hope will be here before I know it, but I have a feeling it will take too long! All we know at this point is the flight itinerary and the Mediterranean cruise we will be taking. We'll see such cities as Rome, Florence, Barcelona, Marseilles, Pisa, and a few other towns along the way. We'll spend some time in Barcelona and in London as long as we're there in Europe, but let me tell you how hard it has been to make these plans! Even deciding how we want to spend the time we have in each city is still in the works! There are so many amazing places to see and so many things we want to do in each place. . . but let's be honest, money these days is hard to find, hard to save, and hard to spend in the best way! Not knowing exactly how much it will cost is driving me crazy. . . a lot crazier than it's driving Sam who seems to think we'll be just fine and can do whatever we want. Nice thought, but I'd like to be able to pay the mortgage and eat a little something when we get home after the big trip! All these stressful feelings for what is supposed to be the happiest, most relaxing time of the wedding/marriage celebration. I suppose that's why Sam looked at me across the breakfast table on Sunday and said, "I wonder what it's like to be in your brain. I bet if I looked in there, I'd see a gazillion intertwined gears moving this way and that." He went on to describe his brain as a table and a chair and maybe one gear. I think he totally nailed it - my brain just spins and weaves and turns and thinks. There is ALWAYS something on my mind; at any given moment, I could name one item after another that was occupying my thoughts. He seems to be mesmerized by this while feeling sorry for me at the same time!

So, anyway, back the honeymoon planning . . .

I think the main problem is: how much will the accommodations really cost after tipping and taxing (oh, shit, another "plus, plus!"); how much will transportation cost; how much will each venue/museum/excursion/day trip cost; how much will each meal cost? So many things to think about before knowing we can get there and back and still be able to afford a loaf of bread and maybe a quart of milk after the fact! So, with all this stressing me out, we went to the local book store to purchase some books on the cities we will stay in after the cruise. (We bought the books only after realizing that the local library was not open on Sundays and I just couldn't wait to find out more, couldn't wait to plan, and my stress level was way high, and the Internet only made my head hurt more. . . so, why not spend money on a book that will help me not spend money in Europe?! Nice logic, huh!?)

From Frommer's to the Dummies books, we looked them all up and down. It was hard to finally make a selection, but we did, and I spent all Sunday night (yes, during the football watching!) making notes and reading up on local accommodations, amenities, tipping norms, customs, metro maps, sightseeing, top 10s, menus, common expressions in the native language, and safety of each city we intend to see. I've never been so immersed in wanting to know the history and heritage of lands so far from here - lands I have been taught about as a kid but never seeing the need to know or understand and, therefore, not retaining any information. I know I'll come back from these cities with a ton of cultural experience and wonderful memories, but right now, time is on my hands and I can take advantage of learning about each city to make the trip all the better and more interesting/exciting.

So, for the next 6 months or so, I'll be reading up on Europe and the Mediterranean countries that I once did an in-depth report about in the 6th grade. Cypress, Malta, Greece, Italy, Portugal, Spain . . . I wish I could remember more about you all! I'll take my new assignment on with new dedication and determination so when I visit some of you, I'll be all the more excited to see you! And, I suppose at the same time, I'll remember that this is my honeymoon and spend time relaxing with Sam just being away and in the world together - learning and exploring and. . . dare I say . . . relaxing and trying not to think!

No comments:

Post a Comment