Saturday, July 25, 2009

Cooking Up Fun

For my birthday last month, Sam bought us two tickets to a cooking class. We've taken cooking classes together before, and we enjoy cooking and learning new recipes and tricks for the kitchen. Today we went to the class and enjoyed learning Southern Cooking - fried chicken, mashed potatoes, collard greens, cornbread, and banana pudding from scratch. Yum! We met some other couple's and enjoyed talking and cooking with new friends.


What I love about cooking is that you can always try again if you mess it up the first time. It's always a learning experience. Mostly, the chemistry of cooking is so intriguing to me. Keeping grated or cubed potatoes in water until ready to cook helps keep them from browning; cooking root vegetables in cool water first will help the outside not cook before the inside; pouring milk slowly into the flour helps keep the lumps away. We also loved learning new ways to use knives better.

One of my hopes is that Sam and I will become great cooks, chefs, bakers together. We love to eat, we love to entertain and serve our guests, and we love to enjoy each other's company in the kitchen. There's always more to learn and more to try. Thanks, Sam, for my very creative and fun birthday gift. I look forward to "getting hot in the kitchen with you" for many years to come! ;)

1 comment:

  1. Eric got me cooking classes there for my bday last year. So fun!

    ReplyDelete