Friday, June 30, 2017

Camp Mommy: June 2017

The summer Banner turned one year old, I had just resigned from my full time job as a school counselor. His first birthday marked the beginning of my time as a stay-at-home mom, and I was a bit overwhelmed at the constancy of my role and always having to be "on" for him. It's a heavy job to be your child's sole teacher and entertainer all day long, so I was anxious about what I would do with him that whole year. We did activities here and there, and then I started subbing every now and then during the school year. The school year brought lots of varied activities that were offered on a constant, routine basis: library story time, play groups at the rec center, parks and classes we could join, etc. But, once summer arrived again, I knew the typical activities we did weren't going to be available due to summer camps and various summer closings. I kinda started to panic as Banner turned 2, and I also wanted to make the most of our time together before he started preschool. I wanted to be the one to teach him how to cut, glue, play with play doh, etc. I didn't want his teachers getting those first experiences with him and me missing out. AND, the teacher in me wanted a plan so we I didn't lose our my mind over the long, hot summer. Thus began the first summer of Camp Mommy.

I had a calendar with an AM activity and a PM activity, and my entire circle of first time mom friends were invited to bring their little kids with us every day. We had a great first summer, and Banner had so much fun with his little first friends. Fast-forward 4 years later, and Camp Mommy is still very much alive and well, and I've gotten much better at knowing how to plan and what is appropriate for my toddler each summer. The only thing that has changed is the number of children (and ages) I plan around now - and of some new and old friends and their changing families. Another great perk is that most of what we do costs very little to nothing! I'm proud to say we find the best deals, go to places on their discount days, bring coupons, use teacher IDs, or use our Pearachute deals to get to these places for a great or (even better) NO price!

As the summer approached, I was giddy with the thoughts of spending more time with Knox, especially one-on-one when the big boys go to camp. I've been excited about the first couple weeks of summer with all three boys - although I'd be lying if I didn't say also that I was anxious at the exhaustion that I knew was heading my way with wrangling them, feeding them, consoling them, refereeing them, potty-ing them, buckling them, and simply getting out the door with them every day!  But, the thought of staying put for even a full day without getting out is enough to also wear me out, so my annual summer planning was a must!

June was a hit! Every day - EVERY day! - we did SOMETHING, and not one thing disappointed. We had such a fun month, and by June 15th, I was actually sad at how fast the summer was already going! So much left to do, so much left in store, and I was already mourning how fast I knew it was going to go and how I wish we had MORE time together. But, this last week of June, as Banner and Quinn headed off to their first of 6 weeks of full-day/full-week camp, Knox and I have been enjoying our special time together. Man, I love that kid! Of course I miss my big boys, but I know they are having a great time with friends and new things to explore and learn - just like we are!

A quick run down of the main highlights of our month: San Antonio and Austin road trip (Sea World, the Alamo, River Walk, the Texas History Museum, the Capitol - an entire post coming on that trip later), Quinn's celebration dinner at preschool, movies, birthday celebrations, play areas, parks, craft projects, haircuts, swim fun at Grandma's, martial arts classes, swim classes, a special zoo date with Banner to make up for missing his Kindergarten field trip there, pottery, arcades, dentist and doctor visits, library time, camp began, sleepovers, My Gym classes began, Father's Day, and fishing with Zaide at the lake.

Check out our busy JUNE! July fun starts TOMORROW!

The morning of Banner's last day in Kindergarten
He got in my car with this crown on for his birthday. He's a FIRST GRADER!
At Sea World
Sea World Selfie
Just walking across Texas (Bob Bullock museum)
Quinn's preschool dinner
Singing with his class
Last drop-off of the school year for Quinn
How to Train Your Dragon date
Happy Birthday, Ella - of course, at Menchie's!
We celebrated Bubbie's birthday with a special song and blow out in her memory.


The Tubes & The Bugs
Swimming at Grandma's
Baking with Grandma
Jungle Joe's




Ella's birthday party
Seeing Matilda at Alamo
Enjoying the dentist's waiting room
The DMA

EQ Kids Club 
Can you spot Quinn?
Post swim lesson car wash!
Little archeologist digging for some dinosaur bones
Giving Daddy his Father's Day craft
Happy Father's Day!
Father's Day at Big Boss's house
On the monorail train at the Zoo!
Color Me Mine with Levi
While this little dude waited so patiently for them to finish their projects
Bubble Man at the mall
Nickel Mania with Levi
Banner gave Knox his first lollipop
Kid Expressions 
Waiting for library story time
After story time - we went to the Coop
Music class at 7 Notes
Knox gave Damon his pacifier to see if he liked it
Mommy/Daddy date night - while the boys had sleepovers!
Riding Thomas at My Gym
Splash park fun
Hope Park

Klyde Warren Park


No comments:

Post a Comment