Friday, July 7, 2017

My Husband: The Congressman?

When I was 16 years old, I was at a youth group event where new members were being inducted into their chapter. I was the date of an already-established member who was on the executive board of the chapter, and I didn't know but maybe a couple of the younger boys being inducted that night. As the ceremony began, I didn't know that my life was about to change. A few minutes into the start, when everyone was quiet and listening to the chapter president begin his opening words, in walked a rowdy, lanky 14-year-old kid with long, orangish hair pulled back into a ponytail and a burnt-red leather jacket. He high-fived a fellow inductee as all the other boys appeared to roar in unison, "Sammy!" He seemed to demand the attention from others, and therefore, my immediate thoughts were, "Who does this kid think he is, marching in late, making a raucous, acting like he is the most important guy here!?" Yet, at the same time, there was an overwhelming feeling of intrigue as I also thought, "There's something special about this guy." His entrance into the room obviously made an impression on me, for better or for worse... as I just knew there was so much more about him. Even though he was so very different than me, there was a strong pull to him in a strange way that made me feel that he would be an important figure in my life.

Fast forward 21 years, and my initial thoughts about that boy who would become my husband and the father of our three sons have been shared with him, our family, and our friends throughout the years. Never once have I been wrong about him. Who does he think he is?? He IS someone special. That boy was a kid with a passion for leading others - whether it was as a cheerleader in 10th grade, a JROTC company commander in high school, a youth group regional president his senior year, a resident advisor in college, a law school student voted most likely to become a political figure, the vice president of the Student Bar Association, or a young lawyer who would take the courageous steps to starting his own law firm and then becoming one of Texas's Rising Stars attorneys soon thereafter.  Sam is always looking for ways to learn more about the community in order to be a helper. He's been active in the Anti-Defamation League for years helping lead several committees, he's a graduate of the FBI Citizen's Academy, he eagerly participates in various career day fairs at local elementary schools  - including my own where I'm a school counselor, and he donates blood several times a year. 

So, when the idea came about that he should run for political office, no one was surprised. This has been on Sam's agenda since I've known him. And, while I adore his passion for serving his community, I never wanted to see him actually run for any office or position. In fact, I was so opposed to this idea, that when he began volunteering to help with local campaigns more than 6 years ago, I was hopeful that he would get it out of his system and never want to do more. Furthermore, when he brought home a candidate's yard sign, I was pretty upset. There was NO way he was going to put that in our front yard.... at least not for long.

My disdain for him holding public office was purely selfish. I have never had the desire to be in any kind of public spotlight. Sam and I are so different when it comes to that particular trait. He's the one on the dance floor wildly playing his air guitar while everyone cheers and claps. I'm the one standing clearly out of the way wondering how much longer this insanity is going to last before my guy just hangs out with me. Sam likes the attention, he loves to be in the center of it all. Me... not so much. I'm the shy but outgoing lady who takes a while to warm up to a crowd. He's an extrovert, and I'm an introvert. I like to feel out a party before I jump right in. He IS the party. 

Yet, as the political climate changed around us, and we were feeling an urgent need to get more involved and figure out what can be done to bring back hope to the future of our children, the timing seemed perfect for Sam to move forward with his dream. I was a key player in that initial decision, and I had to be on-board for what was coming logistically. Campaigning and fund-raising would be a full-time job for Sam - on top of managing his case load and being available to clients in his law firm, as well as being the hero to his three young children. 

As a mother to those children, I am "mama bear," wanting to protect the time Sam spends with these three boys who adore him, want him around, and can't stand when he's away. As the parent who spends more time with them, I am overwhelmed at the thought of Sam being gone more than he already is - at having to be at meeting after meeting, at campaign events for hours on end, at weekend functions to get to know voters. As anyone who knows us as a couple and as parents would tell you, we balance each other out well, and we share the load of responsibilities pretty equally, so knowing my counterpart won't be around much during campaigning (and hopefully beyond should he become elected!), I have been dreading the inevitable extra work and lack of a break that is heading my way. I'm apprehensive about having to get these three kiddos and myself presentable to the public however many times that is necessary in the coming months/years. As always, I'm just trying to be honest here... I'm feeling a bit anxious about that part of it and wish he wouldn't run at all! 

But, that's where my concern ends. Again, any wishing he wouldn't do this is purely selfish as I worry about how his campaign will affect ME and my young family and how much harder my job as Mommy is going to be without the hands, presence, and routine of having Daddy around as much. As Sam's wife and best friend, however, there is no one else I can think of who could do this job better! I stand behind this decision 100%, and I am so excited to be along for this journey he's taking our family on! More importantly, I'm elated to be on the front lines of watching Sam listen to the community, meet the people, and share his ideas for improving our community, our country! Since he made his announcement on Wednesday (July 5th), there's been an overwhelming feeling of excitement as our friends, family, coworkers, and acquaintances have rallied and spread the word about this amazing candidate. 

Sam is an all-around good guy. He's one of the kindest, most compassionate, most committed people I've ever known. He has a passion and conviction for doing what's right, even when it means taking the long road or making more work for himself. And I'm not just saying this to get you to vote for him or to donate to his campaign (which you are more than welcome and invited to do, whether you live in our district or not!) because there's that Mommy part of me that hopes he loses this election. I'm saying this because we need good guys in D.C. We need people who aren't going to get wrapped up in themselves, who are do-gooders by nature, who won't get "bought," who are something special! He's got great ideas, and he's got a great team of people who are supporting him. I'm one of those people. Sam, good luck on this big endeavor. You've never let me down in the past, and I have no question you won't let your voters down, either. You have made an impact on me since you walked in that door. Others will see what I mean. Those who know you already know what I'm talking about. As I know you will, stay true to you and to your goal of paving the way for your beautiful sons who are voting for you in every way they can. I love you.
To find out more, to join us, or to donate, please visit: www.votesamjohnson.com. To clarify, those who wish to help support Sam do not have to live in our district. You can donate, you can like his posts and pages on social media, you can fundraise, you can display one of Sam's yard signs, you can share all the great things you already know and also what you will learn with those who DO live in this district, you can even share this blog post. A win for Sam is a win for YOU, too, no matter where you live. We need honorable, just, level-headed, logical people representing us in DC. 

A note to those who want to vote:
To find out if you can vote for Sam, please check here: http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/
If you are in Texas District 3, then yes, you can vote for Sam. The primary will be in March! I don't care who you vote for... just VOTE!


Note: The current U.S. Texas representative for this district, ironically also named Sam Johnson, will not be running for re-election after many years as our representative. Some negative comments have been made referring to "my" Sam needing to clearly differentiate himself from the current Republican congressman. Well, duh. Obviously, those who know my husband know he would never do anything to try to usurp someone else's service, achievements, awards, or contributions. The "same name issue" is not an issue, nor should it be confusing to anyone. My Sam is a Democrat, not a Republican; the current Congressman is not seeking reelection per a public announcement made in January; and let's face it - Sam Johnson is a pretty common name. His desire to run for this office is perfect timing since he will not be running against a man by the same name. Let's just hope my Sam is the incumbent's successor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment