Friday, January 6, 2012

25 Rules for Mothers of Sons




I got this link from my friend, Gretchen, and not only did I cry reading it thinking of my relationship with Banner, but I cried thinking of my own mother and her relationship with my brother, and mostly I cried thinking of my mother-in-law and her relationship with Sam. It's emotional to think about how Leslie continues to affect Sam's life posthumously and how my relationship with Banner is just beginning and that everyday I have the chance to impact his life. It's ironic to think that their relationship is still so "active" even after her death because her life lessons, her teachings, her support, her encouragement, her cheerleading, her words of wisdom, etc. continue to affect Sam now - whereas my relationship with Banner has so much potential being so new. In reflecting on these rules, I'm glad Leslie taught Sam all the things she did, and I can't wait to teach Banner so many things. Leslie was "home" for Sam, and I already feel like I'm "home" for Banner. And, I love the rule about a mother teaching her son that he is never alone. Leslie is with us every day, and Sam is never alone even without her here anymore. I hope Banner knows that one day, and when I'm gone, I hope he'll still be able to feel my love, that he'll have amazing memories of me and our times together, and that he'll remember how much I'm still here with him.

Thank you, Gretch, for reminding me how fabulous it is to be the mother of a son.
Here's to you, Leslie, for knowing how to raise an amazing son.
And, here's to you, Banner, for being my amazing son!

No comments:

Post a Comment