Saturday, June 20, 2015

Camp Mommy: Weeks 1-2

Two years ago, I decided I needed structure and organization for how I would survive the summer with a toddler. Banner had just turned 2, I was pregnant with Quinn, and I needed lots of activities that we could try out to get out of the heat, to spend some quality time together, to get out of the house, and to give Banner some really great experiences before he started school that year. I decided to call it "Camp Mommy" and to invite some friends who had around the same age as Banner. Then, last year, we continued "Camp Mommy" but it was more limited since Quinn was pretty young and Banner was in camp 3 days a week.

Now that Quinn is ready to experience some more exciting things and really needs the stimulation, he deserves his own Camp Mommy! So, this summer, we have some amazing things planned! We've already had 2 weeks of great activities, and I'm really having a great time. These busy days certainly help me feel less frustrated and bored without a good plan. It's just how I function - I need a solid plan, and it helps keep me accountable for how we spend our days!

So, here's what we've been doing these past couple of weeks:

The first week, Banner was with us for all the events since he wasn't in camp yet. The first week was so much fun, I almost decided not to put Banner in camp for a while because we were all having a blast together. But, he needs time with friends and away from us for a bit, so I didn't follow through. But, it was tempting. 

We kicked off Camp Mommy with a visit to Celebration Park. I love this place because the kids can play on a regular playground and then hop over a small divider to the splash pad to cool off. They can go back and forth and really enjoy their time. Unfortunately, Quinn was feeling pretty crummy that day, so he just kept saying "Car. Go. Bye-Bye." Poor guy just wanted me to hold him, but I think he would have liked it if he were feeling better. We had several friends and some cousins meet us up at the park, and then we had lunch at Chick-fil-A with Levi & Luca.

The next day was Banner's birthday, and since Quinn was still feeling pretty icky, Logan and Landry picked Banner up for a special birthday play date at Lil Ninjas. It was their first time there, and I'm certain we will be back! I'm bummed I didn't get to go, and that I didn't get to feel it out for myself, but Logan's videos were greatly appreciated. Of course, that night, we went to Chuck E. Cheese's with the family for Banner's birthday.

On Wednesday, Banner had his well check, and Quinn had a sick visit to the doctor. So, that morning was booked with doctor stuff. But, that afternoon, after napping at Grandma's house, I took the boys to Campbell Green for some splash park fun. Levi, Luca, Ryan, and Levi came too, and the big boys had fun with water balloons!




This boy was EXHAUSTED on our way home!
On Thursday, we went to the mall playground, ate lunch at the food court, and caught the beginning of the Bubble Man's presentation. The boys weren't interested much, so we headed home for Quinn's nap time. Later that night, I think Banner's big weekend in Minnesota caught up with him, or the exhaustion of the summer heat - or both, because instead of managing a bite at dinner, he was dozing off at the table. I just swooped him up, gave him a speedy bath, got him ready for bed, and he was out by 6:30 (and woke up at 7:15 the next morning)!
Summer getting to him already!
Friday was probably our most favorite day of the week - which is a big deal because we had a lot of fun the whole week! We ventured down town to Klyde Warren Park to play in the children's park where the boys could splish, splash, spin, and climb all over the beautiful playground. Quinn seemed to love it there, and Banner was having fun with "Big Levi." Then, we bought lunch from the food trucks, sat down to eat, got caught in a refreshing drizzle of a random raincloud, made a huge mess with snow cones and ice cream, and then went to the DMA children's area before heading home. Such a blast of a day!
Little daredevil. . . I had to grab him immediately after this pic was taken!

After a fabulous birthday weekend, Banner started camp during our second week of summer. So, Quinn and I had some fun at Sense-Able Gym, at library story time, at an impromptu play date with Luca at Grandma's house, a play date at Play Street, and our first My Gym class of the summer (which both of us LOVED and can't wait to go back!!). Then, Thursday of Week 2, we were off to San Antonio for a big adventure to Sea World and the Alamo.




With Levi
Amanda, Levi's mom, sent this to me after camp pick-up. Banner is wearing his swim cap. Levi is OUT! 
Nami & Quinn at Play Street
Levi
Love this family! Caden, Nami, Brock, Kira, Mara, and Levi
Brycen playing "office"
Caden & Brock made a car together - so proud of his creation! :)
Quinn at My Gym
So much more to come! After a great start, I am really looking forward to our weeks ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment