Saturday, April 19, 2014

30 Things in 30 Days (#17: Wish Great At)

Day 17: What is the Thing You Most Wish You Were Great At?


Oh, how I wish I were great at so many things! To pick only one, now this is a challenge. I've given this a lot of thought. I thought about picking something deep and profound like "letting it go" and not having so much stress. But, let's be realistic here. . . I'm always going to stress. And, a little bit of healthy stress is a good thing. It motivates me and keeps me grounded. So, I'm going to pick something that tells you a little bit more about me and my thoughts!

While I could easily pick (and debated on again and again!) cooking or cleaning or exercising or saving money or watching what I eat or unpacking - or any of my other "challenges," I decided to switch it up. I wish I were really great at visualizing. My sister and my mom are really good at this! Mom has a vision for my house all the time - knowing how to make better use of my space by knocking out walls or painting the room a certain color to bring in more light. I wish I could imagine what a certain paint color would look like. I wish I could have a vision in mind to redecorate or think outside the box like a home contractor can. I feel horrible when someone asks me my opinion about what I think of a certain item (curtains, blinds, hair cut, paint color, bedding, etc...) will look like in their room or on them. I'm just so bad at this. I have to see the whole thing put together to decide. When my best friend was building her home, I was floored by how many decisions she had to make - from the hardware on the cabinets and drawers to the light fixtures. How can you know what will look good until it's up and mounted?

And Kira, well, she's great at all of this. She's especially amazing at putting together a clothing ensemble to be truly awesome. I wish I knew what went well together and how to coordinate a really great look. It's one reason I stick to fairly plain colors and don't take chances on a new trend or style. I just don't know how to coordinate! I will often ask Kira to come with me when buying new clothes (speaking of, I SO need some!). I feel so lost without her guidance, and without her, I will usually either buy the same old stuff or look to the mannequins for inspiration - trying to find what the employees have coordinated on the fake person. It's one of the reasons I hate shopping. Grocery shopping is really the only kind I don't loathe. But, if Kira's with me, then I feel more confident that we won't be there forever without any luck of finding a good, confidence-building selection!


No comments:

Post a Comment