Sunday, December 7, 2014

Santa Claus is Coming to Town

Yesterday afternoon, we were on our way to the park, and I had the car radio on which played an assortment of Christmas music. As we drove, Banner randomly asked me, "Mommy, is Santa Claus really coming to town?" I wasn't really paying attention to which song was playing, and then, sure enough, that's the exact song that was on. I thought his question was so cute and sweet. I loved the inflection in his voice as he asked with such seriousness, and there was a part of me that wished I could say, "Yes, isn't that exciting!?" as if we'd be welcoming him to our house.

But, that's not what I said. And, I quickly analyzed this question before answering. I settled on this: "Yes, I think in a few weeks." I wanted to say more, but I left it at that. I answered the question he asked, and I answered it with a reasonable answer given that I have no intention of my Jewish child being the one to ruin a fantasy for any of his current or future friends who celebrate Christmas. We will be team players, and we will support the belief of zillions of children around the world who believe in him. It's a beautiful idea that I'd hate to ruin for someone else... plus, I'd love the help in having my child believe in the Paci Fairy or in the Tooth Fairy while magic still exists in his reality.

I grew up with a Christmas tree at my dad's house, and it was always one of my most favorite views each winter night that I was there. I love Christmas music. In fact, some of my most favorite Christmas songs are the more religious ones (O Holy Night, O Come All Ye Faithful, and God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen). I love our annual tradition of getting in the car with hot chocolate and slowly driving down the ornate neighborhoods to see the beautiful lights.

But, you see, we don't celebrate Christmas. We won't have Santa stopping by our home, and we won't make up another fairy tale about some magical person (like Hanukkah Harry, or Ross's Hanukkah Armadillo!). We won't have a Christmas tree or lights outside our house. We won't have stockings hung or sit on Santa's lap. We will, however, embrace the spirit of the season... the gift of giving to others, the gift of time spent with friends and family, the gift of great food and company with our friends and family who DO acknowledge Christmas.

My children will know that it's perfectly fine to appreciate the beauty of Christmas, to embrace the spirit of hope, of love, of light, of giving, to wish those around them who celebrate a merry holiday. But, they will know who they are. We have our own beautiful traditions and stories to tell. Our holiday is one of latkes and chanukiahs and candles and dreidels and gelt. It will be filled with presents, yes - and as all kids do, they'll probably get excited for that the most. But, they'll also know that Hanukkah is one of the least important holidays on the Jewish calendar. They'll know that at this time of year we are just happy to have loved ones around us and to enjoy the beauty of the season. They'll know that Hanukkah is about celebrating a miracle of light. And, if Santa Claus really does come to town, they'll consider that a miracle - even if he's not coming down our chimney!

No comments:

Post a Comment