Thursday, December 4, 2014

Yet Another Angel for my Angels

This year, we adopted another Angel Tree Angel. We decided to continue with the idea that the boys would adopt an Angel who was near their ages. The very first slip of paper I grabbed hanging on the tree was a 2-year-old boy named Carlos. We decided he was perfect - because he liked dinosaurs, too! :) So, for the next couple weeks, we gathered things for Carlos that he wanted and needed.

I figured this was the year that Banner would really start to understand the idea of giving, and especially of giving to others in need. I was right. It was hard for him when we would pick out something for Carlos, buy it, and then get home and not be able to play with it. I continued to have to tell Banner that these books and toys were for Carlos, not for us. Banner even picked out a coloring book to give to Carlos, and then when we got home, he said, "No, that's mine. No, I picked it out for ME!" We discussed how nice it is that Banner selected something that he himself would enjoy having, but that the more important part was being able to give it to someone else who would enjoy it.

Once we had everything picked out, we got to wrap it all up and deliver it. I always get a little emotional dropping off the toys/books/clothes and take a picture of the boys with the big red bag. I just love the idea of them learning to give to others and knowing that we, as a family, might provide a little joy for some little boy out there - and some relief to his mommy. I'm grateful that Kira introduced me to this idea a few years ago, and I'm glad we've made it a tradition!


"Yay, Carlos!" Banner said as I took the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment