Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Forever is an Instant

This past summer, my mom and step-dad did some house renovations. Beforehand, though, they asked my brother, my sister, and me to go through our old closets and sort through lots of old things to help clean and clear out. I found lots of random memorabilia from my childhood like cards from my Bat Mitzvah, old letters from past boyfriend, photos, letters I sent my mom from summer camp that she had saved, caricature drawings from parties, old jewelry, evaluations from student teaching, recipes I'd made in 8th grade Home Ec, a plastic hall pass I had stolen saved from junior high, and lots of fun stuff from my youth group (BBYO) days. In addition to all of these old treasures, I came across a poem I had written for Sam when I was a freshman in college. After losing Sam's mom a few months ago, and after my friend lost her husband last week, I'm reminded of the words in this poem. I love how much I still mean every word of it over 14 years later.

For Sam and Banner, and so many other amazing people in my life....

Forever is an Instant
By: Amber (me!)


Forever is an instant, it's just not long enough.
Tomorrow may mean never, 'cause today could be too tough.
Yesterday is gone, nothing but a dream
Never be touched again, never to be seen.

Forever is an instant I want to share with you.
It will fly by way too fast, but no one else will do.
Let's treasure every moment, in your memory make it last;
Keep it safe and sacred with the nonexistent past.

Forever is an instant, it ends with just one blink.
It's here one day, and gone the next, faster than you think.
Time is so very precious - eternity does end.
So grasp every second before it's stolen to the wind.

Forever is an instant, it's just not long enough,
especially when you've found the one you know you'll always love.
Cherish every breath you take... God knows how much I do;
To hear your beating heart is a miracle times two.

Forever is an instant, believe it 'cause it's true.
I'd like to take this forever to say that I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment