Monday, August 26, 2013

First First Day of School!

Dear Banner,
Today you had your very first day of school! You are in the 2's class with Ms. Betty and Ms. Jennifer, and you had a spectacular day. I want to tell you all about it so we'll both remember what a great start you had to your education - something that's always been a high priority for me and for Daddy and hopefully for you too!

While I've been so excited for you to begin your "formal" education, I have to say that I've been dreading this day for a while. It marks the beginning of a long road of learning, socializing, challenges, lunches, homework, backpacks, schedules, school supplies, evolving friendships, and meeting other parents and teachers. All exciting things - no doubt! - but just a new phase in our lives as parents and in your life as a student. Today also marks the very first time a non-family member was looking after you - a scary thing for any parent. You've always done well with your grandparents, aunts, and uncles, so I figured today would really be no different, but it was a milestone nonetheless.

Here's how it all went down...

Yesterday afternoon, we made applesauce muffins as a special treat for you to take for snack today. You loved these muffins! We also read a special story, The Kissing Hand, and we gave each other kisses in the palms of each others' hands at night time. I'm not sure you totally get the point of the story (you're a little young for it), but it was your idea to kiss my hand like Chester does in the story, and it made me feel better just having read it to you! Then, after you went to sleep, I got slightly emotional just talking to Daddy about you being "off in the big world" without us. I cried on his shoulder for a few minutes, and then it was time to get your bag and lunch ready for your big day!

This morning started perfectly. You and I both woke up at about the same time - around 7:00am. I got myself dressed and ready while you cuddled with Daddy watching YouTube videos about ice cream trucks (your newest obsession). You pretty much refused to eat your breakfast (pretty typical), and you were almost giddy getting ready for school (which made it kind of a challenge to calm you enough to get your teeth brushed, get your clothes on, and fix your hair). Then, we took a few pictures outside, and finally - we were off!

As we pulled out of the garage, you said, "Excited. School!" which made my day! We listened to the audio version of The Kissing Hand on the way to drop off Daddy's car at Grandma's house (so we wouldn't take up two (very limited) parking spaces at school), and we talked about how you would be staying with Ms. Betty while Mommy went to her doctor's appointment and Daddy went to work. You were perfectly okay with this. As we walked into the building and to the classroom, you seemed to feel right at home. You went right to the toys on the shelf and started pulling trucks and cars out. You could pretty much care less about Mommy & Daddy being in the room or not! I knew this would be an easy transition for you! You know Ms. Betty and are very comfortable asking her for what you need, you know the school well from Mommy & Me classes, and you know that Aunt Kira is just down the hallway! You also know that Mommy (and Daddy) always come(s) back!

As Daddy and I said our goodbyes to you, I gave you a Kissing Hand sticker for your hand, and then I kissed the palm of your hand - and you kissed mine. And then you and Daddy did the same. I would have cried at this point if I let myself, but I was already doing well holding it together and trying not to be overly sappy! :) Then, Daddy and I left the room after telling you we love you and giving one final kiss. Of course, we watched you through the classroom window with all the other parents and enjoyed watching you play.

The rest of my morning went really well. I had a doctor's appointment to check on Baby Brother, and the whole time I was trying my best not to worry about you or over-think my missing you! Soon, it was time to make my way back to school to pick you up. I went in to see how you were doing through the classroom window, and you were sitting so nicely eating your lunch. Ms. Betty came out to talk to the parents, and she told me that you had a good day but that you wouldn't let her change your wet diaper. Aunt Kira helped her with this, but you still weren't very cooperative for her, insisting that "Mommy change it!" We'll be working on this and hoping that you'll soon be more at ease with this process. Otherwise, you seemed to have had a great day!

When Ms. Betty brought you into the hallway, you lit up when you saw me! You pranced toward me as you said, "Mommy!!" with a huge grin that melted my heart - and will continue to as I think about that moment over and over again! Thank you for that, sweet boy! Your shirt and your arms were marker-stained - which told me you worked hard today and had fun - but I was still eager to get those stains out! :) And, as we left the building, you sat down in the middle of the walkway and said, "No, stay here!" I had to pick you up to get you to the car, but luckily you stayed in your great mood and told me about your day. You told me what you had in your lunch ("green grapes, strawberries, sandwich") and what you played with at school ("cars, trucks, digger book"). 

To celebrate your first day of school, Daddy and I took you to get an ice cream treat after dinner. You were so giddy and silly while we ate. You continued to wipe your chocolate-y hands all over Daddy's shoulder and say "Daddy's shirt dirty!" as we laughed at what a mess you were making. Such a fun evening!

Banner Boone, I'm so glad we survived this day! I'm proud of you more than you'll ever know, and I'm so happy that you had an excellent day. As you embark on this school journey, I'm thrilled to watch you grow more independent, to learn as much as you can, to make and keep friends, to try new things, to learn how to be a student, to respect educators and all they do to make you the best citizen and person you can be. I hope you will make good choices, be eager to learn what your teachers have prepared for you, and always be yourself. I hope you will be kind to your peers, accept everyone no matter how different from yourself, and be willing to make mistakes. And I hope you know that there really is no place like home, that Mommy & Daddy love you so much, and that we will always come back to you.

Happy First Day of School, Angel!
Love,
Mommy

With Ms. Betty
Already "at home" before we even left
With Myka
With Aunt Kira
Ice Cream Treat Time
Daddy's shoulder after you had your way with it

No comments:

Post a Comment