Monday, March 8, 2010

6 Monthiversary. . .

. . . That's right! It's been 6 months (and 2 days) since our wedding day. Half a year. It seems so fast, but it also seems so slow. There's part of me that thinks, "Wow, already 6 months!" but there's more of me that looks back and says, "It's only been 6 months?" And, don't misunderstand. This bigger part of me is not upset about the marriage or thinking anything like the time is creeping by because I'm unhappy or anything like that. In fact, I asked Sam on our actual "monthiversary" if he was as happy now as he was on our wedding day. . . to which he answered, "Much happier now, by far!" . . . not that he was sad or unhappy on our wedding day, of course, but that he is so much happier now. I agreed entirely. I feel so much happier now, but I'll come back to this point in a moment.

I think I feel that time has passed so slowly for various reasons: Sam and I have never kept track of the length of our relationship - months, years, days, etc. - until we got married. I wish I wasn't even aware of how many months we've been married, but it's so fun to celebrate each 6th of the month. We also think we both feel this way because our honeymoon is still so far away! Or, maybe it's because the wedding seemed to have crept up on us much faster than it's left us. Or, maybe it's because I miss it everyday and feel like it was much farther away than it really is! Who knows, but I wonder if other brides feel that way - that the time after the wedding moves slowly in the first year.

So, going back to how happy I am now. . . I just am so happy in my marriage! I think Sam and I have done a good job in keeping our marriage high on the priority list, if not first and foremost, during the difficult times we've shared in the past 6 months. We've been on the "same page" through it all, and it's so nice to know we have each other to talk to, to confide in, to calm each other, to retreat with. It's also nice to not have the wedding to worry about and to, instead, be planning our mutual future as we schedule our honeymoon plans, as we think about our finances, as we think about when to have kids and what we want for our family, as we dream about future homes, as we take care of the errands and daily chores.

Sam's one of my most favorite people in the world, and I love coming home to him (or more often than not, him coming home to me!). I love knowing we are just starting out and have the rest of our lives together. I love knowing no matter what, we'll get through it together. I love knowing he'll be by my side. When you look at your future job or home or anything, you never know who you'll work with, who you'll live next to, where you'll worship or grocery shop or anything - but I know no matter what the answer to those mundane questions are - Sam will be there with me to find out! How exciting that really is. I never thought about it like that until after the wedding, and it's so reassuring. So, as I look back at 6 married months - no matter how far or near it seems to the wedding - I have learned a LOT and I know I am truly and significantly happier and happier with each day! Happy 6 months, Sam!

No comments:

Post a Comment