Friday, January 18, 2013

My Funny Kid

In my opinion, Banner's a pretty hilarious kid! I think he has an amazing sense of humor, and Sam and I have always marveled at his comedic timing. But, recently, there have been some funny little things I wanted to make note of so I won't forget all the cute stuff he's doing at this age (19 months). Most of these things, when I'm writing them down, don't seem very funny, but if you had been there, you would have been cracking up with us.

-A few days ago, after Banner woke up from his nap at Grandma's house, he was enjoying a small "Cutie"/"Clementine" orange at the kitchen table. Aunt Kiki was sitting next to Banner, and after he put 2 little sections in his mouth at a time and picked up a third, Aunt Kiki told Banner, "No, baby, you have too much in your mouth. Wait til you finish those pieces first." Banner looked at Kira, then at the orange, and then he put the orange to his ear and said, "Herro?" to "talk on the phone. He proceeded to have an entire conversation on his "orange" phone.

-Earlier this week, we were finishing up a great dinner. Banner ate really well, and I think he was in an "I'm stuffed" coma. He was staring off into space, just zoned out with his mouth slightly open. He was not blinking, and he was in his own little world simply fixated on what seemed to be the dining room blinds. We waved our hands in front of him and got no response. I started singing the "Twilight Zone" theme song, and Sam said, "Creeeepy!" Without flinching or moving a muscle, Banner continued to stare into space as he whispered, "Creeepy!" right back to us. It was really funny, and then we all got the giggles.

-Yesterday, I was reading a book to Banner. It's a book called Rockin' Babies, and there's a page with a playroom scene. On one side of the book, there's a small train pull-toy. On the other side of the page, there's a "cozy coupe" car that the baby is in and "driving." While I was reading the book to Banner, he pulled his knee up high and put his bare foot on the page. When I went to turn the page, he said, "No. In." I told him it was time to turn the page so we could see what happens next. He kept putting his foot on the page, and saying, "In." I was confused, and then, he said, "Help" (which sounds more like "hep"), and then "Play" (which sounds more like "pay"). I finally got it. The boy wanted to get in the car and play. He wanted to ride on the pull-toy, and he was very determined to jump into the picture to play in that playroom. I told him it was a book, and it was just a picture - that we can't ride on that toy. He got frustrated and kept putting his foot on the book. This lasted several minutes, with me trying to explain that we can't ride that toy but that if he wants to ride a toy, he has his own playroom to go find ride-on toys. He did not like my idea, and he wanted THAT car and THAT pull-toy. Finally, I called for Sam who was working in the next room. When I explained to him what was going on, although he could clearly see for himself, he and I looked at each other and tried really hard not to burst out laughing. On my final attempt to turn the page and explain to Banner that we can't play in that car, that we can't jump into the book, that we have other real toys that he CAN play with, that it was time to turn the page... Sam and I finally lost it as Banner was whimpering "In. Play. Car. Help." It was so sad, so creative, so funny - all at the same time.

More to come - this kid keeps us laughing!

No comments:

Post a Comment