Sunday, October 18, 2009

Waiting, Still?

I don't remember doing this in high school. I don't remember even keeping a calendar or planner or any kind. But, when I went away to college, I started keeping track of time in a whole new way. I began using a desk calendar (that I actually hung on the wall) with exam dates, paper due dates, and most importantly, when I would be going home to visit Sam OR when Sam was coming to Austin to visit me. I counted down the days, I wished I could speed things along, I couldn't wait to cross off the dates.

That's when "wishing away the days" started. I used to X out the dates with a certain sense of excitement or joy with each passing day. I also hated that I was living my life wishing days away, wishing life would just pass by more quickly. I remember crossing off days to be finished living in a certain apartment I couldn't stand or crossing off days until I was home with my family or crossing off days until the next break or vacation. Then, I finished college, moved home, and started a job. I would come home from work and cross days off the calendar feeling like I couldn't wait until the end of the semester or the end of the school year. Then, I counted down days until the wedding - even over summer break! Still wishing the days away, wishing it was time for it to be here already!

And now, finally in a place where I'm settled - loving my job, loving my family, being in the city I love, and married to the man I love - I'm finally in a place where I thought I'd be able to stop wishing away the days. But, no - with every passing day now, I still feel a sense of joy crossing each day off the calendar. Why? Because, I just CAN'T WAIT TO GO ON OUR HONEYMOON!!

No comments:

Post a Comment