Sunday, September 7, 2014

Wood Anniversary

5 Years! Hard to believe our little marriage is growing up so quickly and would be headed to Kindergarten this year! Ha! :) What a big milestone this is for us! 5 years of a partnership that is really much older than 5 years, but for all intents and purposes, we're 5 now!

Each anniversary, I like to reflect on where we were last year. And, last year, we were on the verge of big life changes - Quinn was only a couple days away from birth, Banner was still getting used to his big boy bed, and we had no idea what life with two kids was going to be like. Our life got a little more stressful this year, but our marriage got a little more solidified, stronger, sturdier. So perfect that the traditional gift and symbol for this 5th anniversary is wood.

Wood is strong yet can still be bent and shaped. With great care, polish, and refinishing as time goes on, it ages beautifully. It begins with trees that grow tall and develop root systems far below the earth, far deeper than we can ever see. Like a beautiful piece of hickory, the more knots and grains, the more beautiful it becomes. This symbol is perfect for this particular point in our lives. So, what did we do to celebrate?

Well, we're busy around here these days. We're swamped with little boys' needs, and we're trying to plan a 1st birthday party. But, we definitely "carved" out some time to celebrate us! My mom kept both boys overnight so we could enjoy an entire evening together. (Thank you, Grandma!) Banner was so excited to get a sleep-over at her and Papa's house, he even turned to Quinn when I told him where they were going and said, "Quinn, are you SO excited to go to Grandma and Papa's house for a sleepover!?!?!" as if Quinn had any idea what was going on. Once they were settled, we headed to Kenny's Wood Fired Grill. We picked this restaurant because a) we had a generous gift card to use there, and b) it went along with the "wood" theme! :) We ate amazingly delicious filets, and then we decided to go to a movie. We saw The Giver, a movie based on the book both of us had read years and years ago. We ate ice cream, we took our time, we talked, we laughed, we didn't have to cut up anyone's food! It was a great night out!

Then, we headed home to watch our annual anniversary DVD I finished making just that morning. Last year's video was 59 minutes. This year's is 60. I'm proud of myself for managing to only go one-minute longer (especially given we had another child in the mix this year!). I know I say this every year, but I LOVE making these videos. It can be stressful and time-consuming, but it is SO worth it. It's a great way to review our year together and watch our kids grow up. I also love sharing it with our friends and family who help us live this amazing life. We had wet eyes throughout the video, and when it was over, we made a few observations. We reflected on how neat it is to see this village we live in helping each other, celebrating each other, lifting each other. We loved seeing the mix of people together, a picture of Erick holding Marin, a picture of Logan feeding Quinn, a picture of Kira adoring Landry, a picture of Brock tickling Banner. It's just sweet to see the love and the adoration that surrounds my family and that we feel towards our loved ones. We're excited to share this video with them tonight!

I hope I spend the rest of my life making these videos for Sam. I hope I spend the rest of my life with this man by my side. Happy Wood Anniversary, Sam! I love you more than you could ever know! Here's to 5 more!




No comments:

Post a Comment