Sunday, November 10, 2013

Quinn's Naming

This afternoon, we had Quinn's baby naming, a Jewish ceremony where he is officially given his Hebrew name. He had his bris on the 8th day of his life, but today's ceremony was held for our friends and family - to meet Quinn, hear all about his name, and to welcome him into this big circle of love! What a perfect day we had! Seriously - perfect! From start to finish! As I arrived at my mom's house to help set up, my best friend Cherie came through the garage door to the house with the fruit tray she was bringing. I helped take that from her - thinking she had already been at the house for a while and had just parked in the back. Then, there was a knock at the garage door. My mom told me to open it. Thinking it was Cherie's husband, I was totally shocked and surprised to see my other best friend, Robyn, and her husband standing in front of me. They had flown in from Houston to surprise me - and what a surprise it was! In my head, I had an image of them surprising me, but I never thought it would actually happen. I was thrilled to see them, and I wrapped my arms around Robyn and just cried! I was so happy that she came to meet Quinn and to be a part of this special ceremony. I can never describe how happy I was to see her.  That will always be a favorite memory - as will standing with my husband and two sons in the middle of a giant circle of friends and family being blessed and showered with their love. 

Anyway, the day was just so amazing, and I want to have this letter we read aloud to Quinn at the ceremony for always, so here it is - in my blog. (You can read about Banner's naming back here.) But, before I post that document here, I just want to thank my mom, my step-dad, my father-in-law, my friends and family who attended, the rabbi, and Banner and Sam for making this day so special for me, and more importantly, for Quinn who will hear all about it one day! We are ALL so blessed...

Dear Quinn,
A: Today is a very special day. We are here in this room filled with family and friends who have loved you since before you were born. Right now, you may or may not be able to feel how much joy they feel in knowing you, but one day, we hope you know just how loved and wanted you are! Like I told Banner at his naming, you have an emotional mommy – and an emotional daddy – and we may both already be crying. So, bear with us as we share some very deep thoughts we’ve wanted to share with you for a long time.

S: Many people in this very room have asked us about the meaning of your name and how we finally chose it. We’ve waited until today to share that with them because we haven’t even really told YOU about it. We think you should know first, but we’ll go ahead and let them in on it while we’re at it. Mommy and I think it’s a pretty cool name, and we certainly hope you like it since we put quite a bit of thought into it.

S: The definition of your first name, “Quinn,” means several things. First and most importantly, it is a tribute to Terry O’Quinn, an actor who starred as “John Locke” in the greatest television show ever created– Lost. . . .

A: Okay, you got your “Lost” reference in… Quinn means “fifth.” You are only the fourth member of our immediate family, but Quinn is perfect for you when we look a little deeper. You are the fifth living male J___. There’s Papaw, Zaide, Daddy, Banner, and you. You are the fifth great-grandchild of Daddy’s Bubbie & Zaide. There’s Miles, Colby, Bailey, Banner, and now you. And, you are also the fifth grandson to my mom and dad – your Grandma and Big Boss. There’s Caden, Banner, Brycen, Nami, and you, Quinn.

A: Your first name is also a derivative of a surname meaning wisdom, intelligence, or reason. We have also seen that it means “free man” and “counsel.” We liked this name for you because we hope you will always remain free – from both a physical and intellectual perspective. Our sincere wish is that you will always seek wisdom and reason in how you treat others and in how you perceive and influence the world around you. Our people have endured and survived millennia of persecution in which our freedom to act and freedom to think were restricted. We wish for you the wisdom and ability to carry on the torch of perseverance. We also liked that “counsel” is another meaning of your name, as daddy and I are both counselors. Before your brother was born, I spent years as a school counselor helping families at Bowie Elementary School. Daddy is an attorney and counselor at law, a job that requires not only legal knowledge but also the skills to read people and help guide his clients through trying times. We wish for you the ability to help counsel others through offering your kind thoughts, your empathy and your compassion.

S: The definition of your middle name, “Redding” is son of the red-haired. While I can grow a reddish beard, and I’m known for having a red face most of the time, we did not choose this name for you because of it’s meaning. Ellis Boyd Redding, or “Red,” is a character from my all-time favorite movie, The Shawshank Redemption. This movie is a story about the pursuit of justice, the beauty of true friendship, and most of all – the power and importance of hope. In the movie, Red is a source of friendship, experience and – touching back on your first name – wisdom. And although he was the character who was the most self-aware, he was able to learn in the film that hope is something we should always keep, always seeing it on the horizon, even when its already in our grasp. We hope for you that you, too, will know who you are, seek and distribute wisdom when you are able, and always have hope for a joyful and prosperous life.

A: You also have a Hebrew name, Matan Lev. These names were chosen for you by your dad and by me to honor the memory of two very special people in our lives. Because you won’t get to meet these special members of our family, we want to tell you about them now and let you know how you came to get this special Hebrew name.

A: My grandfather, Manny, your great-grandfather, was a giver. Every memory I have of my Grandpa involves some kind of gift. Yes, the first thing most people think of is the gift of money or tangible gifts – and definitely Grandpa gave those things, from establishing trust funds when his grandkids were born to bringing us candy when he’d pick us from school to paying for us to travel to Israel as teenagers. Grandpa valued money, and he wanted us to save it well and spend it well.  When I was only 13, he taught me about stocks and bonds and how to read the newspaper to see if my investments had paid off. When I bought my first house (which is also your first house), it was with the money in the fund Grandpa had started for me. So, yes, there are plenty of memories of money and “things” when it came to my generous Grandpa.

But, most of my memories are of the deeper gifts – the gifts of humor, of music, of commitment, of devotion, of dedication, of strength, of knowledge, of love. He used to say that we “grew up together,” because he was such a big part of my childhood, and he was the grandparent I had in my life the longest. I have such fun memories of him. Grandpa was always telling jokes, always singing a song, always shaking his hand to do a little dance. My grandpa always opened his home to us, allowing my friends over for loud swim parties or for aerobics lessons with Aunt Karen at sleepovers. He gave of his time – always visiting my Granny nearly daily for years when she was in the nursing home. He gave us values – teaching Judaism, encouraging education, and instilling love of family – and of course, how to eat tons of chocolate but then work it off at the next morning’s early workout. He gave advice – always telling me what a gift learning to play the piano would be, hounding me when my gas light would be on in my car when I’d pick him up and drive him somewhere, and annoying me by telling me how he wanted me to wear my hair.  And, Grandpa always gave the gift of loyalty – to both Granny and then to his long-distance girlfriend, Dora, but also to my mother. He took your Grandma in as if she were his own daughter, helped her when she needed it, and always maintained his relationship with her. I knew my Grandpa loved me and was proud of me  – he celebrated my marriage to Daddy at my wedding, he loved that I was working as a school counselor at the same school he used to pick me up at twice a week – which he thought was too cool, and he knew I loved my family with a deep passion the same way he did. He was a giver, a provider, a nurturer, a teacher, a fighter.

Quinn, your Hebrew name, Matan, is in memory of my Grandpa, and it means “giver” or “gift-giving.” In these short couple of months we’ve gotten to know you, you are already such a giver. You have given us so much love and brought so much joy to our hearts. You love to be held and cuddled, you smile and coo, you gaze into our eyes intensely and with curiosity, and you pee on us daily. You bring smiles to Banner’s face every day – which is a gift to him and to us. Daddy and I love to watch you two interact. There is so much love and admiration there already! To me, you are a gift every day, a gift that keeps unwrapping and unraveling to reveal more of you. You keep changing and growing, our bond gets even stronger, and you brighten our days even more. So, yes, you are named after my giving Grandpa, and the name already suits you!

S:      Quinn – your second Hebrew name is in honor of your Bubbie, my mom, Leslie. I never expected that one of my own children would be named for her, but unfortunately your Bubbie had to leave before she ever got to meet you. I’m going to take a few moments to tell you a little bit about this amazing woman for whom you are, in part, named. As Banner will confirm, though, I’ll spend the rest of my life telling you many more stories about this woman who even still loves you so very much.

Your Bubbie was many things to many people. I think that her most important quality that allowed her to fill so many roles so well was her greatest quality: her endless capacity to love. Sometimes it was in the way of advice, sometimes by way of a hug. She may have handed it out with a quick phone call, or with a 27-minute voicemail. Other times it was a gesture of a favor, of a snack for the road, or her secret stash of $50 as you’re heading back to Austin. But no matter how she was giving away her love to her friends, family and to people she barely knew, she did it unconditionally, wholeheartedly and never expected anything in return. After I moved home from law school, I enjoyed being able to go see Bubbie and Zaide without having to make a 4-hour drive to get there. Every time I can think of that I left their house, Bubbie would stand on the front porch and, after I told her I loved her, she would proudly shout: “I love you more.” Admittedly, I sometimes thought to myself she was being immature. Maybe she was, maybe she wasn’t. What I didn’t know at the time, though, was that as much as I loved her, she was right. I wasn’t a parent yet, and couldn’t really understand the gutwrenching, universal love a parent has for his or her child. It is only through my eyes as yours and Banner’s daddy that I have finally been able to appreciate what she was saying. She wasn’t necessarily telling me she loved me more than I loved her; I think she was telling me she loved me more than anything else in the whole world, that however much love you could have for a person, she had more than that much for me.

Your other Hebrew name, Lev, is in memory of my mom, your Bubbie. It means “heart” or “love” in Hebrew, and I hope that you will have the same capacity to love and be loved as your Bubbie did. I hope that, like your Bubbie, you carry love with you everywhere you go, and that you share it with the world around you, brightening your friends and family’s lives with its brilliance. I hope you know how to accept love in all of its forms and that it warms your heart every day of your life. I hope you always know that, no matter how much love you give and take, looking at the sum total of it all, your mom and I love you more.

A: Quinn, Daddy and I have so many hopes and dreams for you already. We hope you like your name and that you come to feel proud of it when you hear it – and later say it. We hope you love your family and can always feel wanted, accepted, loved, and nurtured by us. We hope you are eager to learn about the world and about other people. We want you to enjoy your friends, be okay with making mistakes, enjoy delicious food, appreciate music and art, believe in yourself, find love, recognize how blessed you are to be surrounded by an abundance of family and friends, know how to relax and enjoy yourself, value education, know how to take care of your body and your mind, respect others and their opinions, and find strength from within yourself.

S: We hope you will appreciate where you came from, know your family history and heritage, and respect those who came before you. And, we hope you come to know, trust, and love yourself. We want so many things for you, Quinn, but mostly, we want you to be happy, healthy, and full of love!

We love you,
Mommy & Daddy
November 10, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment