Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Sam's 30th Birthday!

Sam's been wanting to celebrate his big 3-0 in a big way, and I was more than happy to help him with this! He wanted a skating party at the local rink that we all used to go to when we were little. So, with this idea, I suggested we have an 80's theme, since he was born in the 80s... it made sense to me! I decided a costume party would bring the whole theme home - and everyone could have a lot of fun with this. And, I think it went over really well. I also made two cakes - a white PacMan cake and a chocolate Rubik's Cube cake. These were so fun to make ... the PacMan was easy, easy. The Rubik's Cube - not so much. I have some ideas on how I could have improved it (like how to make it taller!) but for a first attempt the day of the party - I say it was good enough! :) I also got lots of compliments on how delicious both cakes were - Yay!

This was the wording on the tape cassette Evite:

Let's go back in time to 1982,
to celebrate the year Sam made his totally rad debut.
In our gnarly 80s clothes, we'll have a bodacious time,
skating round and round celebrating Sam at his prime!
Don't be grody to the max or gag me with a spoon.
Just say you'll be there August 5th, and we'll see you really soon!

Here are some pictures from Sam's party:
Sam and his dad

US

Gretchen & Avi

the Rudd's

Aaron & Sam

Sam and the gang

Future Mr. & Mrs.

PacMan Cake

Rubik's Cube


the other future Mr. & Mrs.

NaNa and Colby

Uncle Erick & Brycen

Skating

YUM!

Mi Familia



Mischelle, Kira, Mom, and Me

"OOOHHH!"

Aaron, Jeff, and Sam

Banner dancing to the music in his Atari joystick onesie :)

Birthday Boy

Aunt Kira and Banner

The "Gifformans"

Papa, Aunt Marni, and Lilly-bug

Grandma & Brycen

Sexy Mama!

Kikachoo and Me!

Caden with Zach's camera
Most of the Family in our 80s attire
Although I couldn't skate because of my knee, I had a blast watching everyone enjoy themselves. I loved taking all these pictures, and I loved dressing to the theme. I was also thrilled that the rink invited us to make our own play list for the party by requesting 80s music we wanted to hear while there. It really made the whole party complete! 

Sam's actual birthday (today) has been kind of low-key given that he had to work, I had to go to physical therapy (more on that later) and my substitute teaching orientation (yay!). It began with the damn dog next door barking at 6:40am, Banner waking at 6:50, and then just a bunch of other errands and tasks to get done before the end of the day. Mostly, it was a typical day. We ended up meeting my Mom, Bob, and Kira at a Jason's Deli at the last minute... not the most celebratory restaurant, but it was nice. I just hope Sam knows how truly loved he is by so many people. 30 years... can't believe my best friend that I met almost 16 years ago has gone and turned 30! At least we're both now in our 30s together. :) Happy Birthday, Sam! I love you more than you could ever imagine!

No comments:

Post a Comment