Sunday, May 6, 2012

Wig-Splittin' Time!

Banner does not have my hair color at all. You'd think I would have a kid that looks more like my youngest nephew with really dark hair, but no, my baby has light brown hair that does not remotely take after mine. He does, however, have the same hair growth that I do - along with my fast-growing nails. He also has both Sam and my curly hair. . . poor guy. It's the kind of hair that looks really cute when it's wet, but the moment it's dry, it's big and frizzy. And, it's the kind of hair you shouldn't dare run your fingers through, or else you've just added to the frizz factor.

So, with unruly, fast-growing hair on his head at 10 months already, Sam and I decided it was time to give in and get Banner his first haircut. Or, as my brother and my nephew like to say, it was time to get his "wig split." Sam was very apprehensive about this decision, but Banner's hair was getting really out of control, in our opinions, and when Mom told us that a woman at the grocery store looked at Banner and asked how old "she" is, we decided maybe a "wig split" wasn't such a bad idea.

We decided to go on Saturday. Well, until I had a semi-melt-down and decided I was the one who wasn't ready. I cut a perfect little curl off of Banner's head and put it in his baby book before we left for the salon, and as I turned to get Banner, I just started crying and couldn't do it. I really wanted to wait until he was a year old, but I also knew his hair was just too long and unruly. But, I wasn't ready, so we agreed to wait another day.

Sunday rolled around, and we made it a priority to get to Cool Cuts 4 Kids. When we walked in, I was nervous that Banner wouldn't sit still for the woman cutting his hair, but the facility was awesome at entertaining him, and he did amazingly well! I had NO idea what to tell the woman when she asked what we wanted - so I just let her do her thing, and really, we just ended up with a trim more than a haircut, which both pleased me and upset me. . . If I was going to go through with the whole emotional decision to get his hair cut before he was a year old, then you might as well have taken more hair to make it look worth it! But, I also don't know how ready I was to get rid of his curly locks. So, Sam and I decided we will go back in about a month or so and have it cut shorter.

Here are a few pictures of Banner getting his first haircut:


Getting Ready!!


The first cut!






Not much different than before just a little neater!

No comments:

Post a Comment