Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The Knee Issue

If you read the previous post about my knee issue, you know I had surgery for what the orthopedist suspected was a lateral meniscus tear in my right knee. Surgery went well, yet four incisions around my kneecap helped the doctor use laproscopic equipment to confirm that there was, in fact, no meniscus tear and no cartilage damage in my knee. Instead, what they found was some synovial clots and fluid. They cleared that out (looked like spider webs on the photos Sam and I got to see at my post-op appointment a week after surgery), and the synovial fluid biopsy came back saying that it was "severe and chronic synovitis." All this means to me is that there was too much synovial fluid and that it had been going on for a while (chronic=not new) and that it was bad (not mild or moderate but severe). Also at the post-op appointment, I was given the results of some blood work that was done before surgery. The PT informed me that they would be referring me to a rheumatologist for more specific testing because my blood work showed that I may have lupus. This test came back as "highly suggestive of a connective tissue disease."

So, we waited for the rheumatologist's office to call to schedule an appointment. In the meantime, I began my physical therapy - three days a week for what is suspected to be a month - although I'm hoping I can push through the pain and get better faster! My orthopedist still says the swelling, tightness, and pain can take about three months to feel better after surgery. I'm hopeful it will be less than that and at Kira's wedding I will be able to dance the night away! :) Yet, at the same time, my knee feels extremely tight. It's hard to even turn over in bed. My goal is to be able to squat down, which would mean my knee is flexed to its limit, without hurting. The idea of that right now seems painful and unfathomable. I'm trying not to rush it considering surgery was so recent, but I guess I expected that if the doctor "solved the problem" then I would simply be able to move my leg as I wish soon after. At this point, though, the pain is way worse than before surgery, and my leg movement is a lot more limited. The physical therapist says that the only thing preventing me from using my knee the way I want is me. . . I just have to push through the pain. Otherwise, there is no reason I can't move it. But, it's REALLY painful and tight. It's really amazing how much I've taken my joints for granted. When I move my left knee, so smoothly and swiftly and painlessly, I realize how far I have to go with my right knee, and it's kind of overwhelming and discouraging. I even teared up at Kira's bridal portrait photo shoot - as I watched my mom so seamlessly smoothing Kira's train. I was both in pain and jealous as I watched her knees allow her body to the floor to fluff the dress or lay the veil more evenly.

I am beyond motivated to do my exercises each day to help improve the stretch, strength, and endurance in my knee. I miss being able to get up and down off the floor with Banner so easily. I miss being able to crawl around the room and chase him. I miss turning in bed and actually staying asleep! I miss getting in and out of the car with ease. I miss being able to kneel next to the bathtub to bathe Banner. I miss getting out of bed and not dreading the day due to the extreme stiffness first thing in the morning. I miss walking gracefully across a room - not limping or worrying about what I will have to step over or around. I miss just waking up and knowing I'll make it through the day without having to force myself to just keep going and push through my fatigue, exhaustion, and pain.

More updates to come....and hopefully we'll have some more answers!

No comments:

Post a Comment